This structure is interchangeably known as Rye Castle, Rye Castle Museum or Ypres (pronounced “wipers”) Tower. It is one of the oldest buildings in Rye, built about 1250 as a fortification for the town. After its service, the tower was used as a Court Hall, then later sold to John de Ypres in the 15th century to be used as a private dwelling. After that, it became a prison, then a mortuary and finally a museum. Here are some shots from in and around the Castle as it is today.