Day 3: Sunday, September 13

Our First Full Day In Vienna

We each slept for 12 hours today! I didn’t wake up until 10:45AM; it was much-needed sleep, though, for both us. We showered and had breakfast using the supplies we purchased yesterday.

After breakfast we went to Hernals station to buy transit tickets for the day (a day pass was the best bargain, and what we settled on). We found, and rode, the #44 tram downtown to Schottentor station. From Schottentor we walked down to the Staatsoper (Opera House) to catch the Red Line of the Vienna Hop On/Hop Off bus. On the way to the bus we stopped to admire the beautiful and grand…

Hofburg Palace

We then boarded the Hop On/Hop Off bus and did the lengthy circle, seeing some of the city for the first time. We completed the “Red Loop” and returned to our starting point – the Staatsoper (opera house).

We dubbed these guys “The Fake Mozarts”, and they were everywhere in Vienna! Here, they were selling tickets for the latest Classical concerts outside the Staatsoper (Opera House).
Outside the Opera House this huge bunny was promoting Dürer’s famous watercolour of the “Young Hare”, which is part of the Albertina Collection.

Immediately we caught the 3:30 walking tour of the area, which lasted about an hour. Upon completion of the walking tour, we wandered around and went through the beautiful Burggarten behind the Hofburg:

After a good spin through the Burggarten we walked up a lively pedestrian street called Karntner Strasse – a busy and beautiful street:

We were both getting pretty hungry at this point (was about 5:30) so we stopped for dinner at the Wienerwald restaurant on 3 Anagasse. Vince had a type of chicken Cordon Bleu and I had Zwiebelrostbraten (roast beef with onions). Not fine dining by any means, but the food was good for the price and portion size.

We were getting tired after the meal so we finished up and left to try and find our way back to the apartment. Stumbling upon the U-Bahn at Karlsplatz near the Staatsoper, we caught the U2 line up to Schottentor station; there we waited for Tram 43 to take us back to the apartment. The tram finally arrived and we returned to the sanctity of the apartment for the day.

At this point it was about 7:15PM and we found ourselves simply exhausted, the jet lag still hanging on. We took it easy for the remainder of the evening, resting up for whatever tomorrow brings! Off to bed at about 9:30PM.

I close the day with another shot of a Vienna Fake Mozart !

Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest